The CEPLAS Graduate School invites talented and motivated students from all nationalities who hold a Bachelor’s degree to apply for a structured four-to-five-year doctoral programme covering the fields of molecular plant sciences, plant genetics, synthetic biology as well as quantitative and computational biology.
There are no tuition fees associated with this programme, except for an approx. 300 € fee per semester for enrolment at the University. This grants you student’s rights including free local public transportation in North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Applicants must hold a Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences or a subject related to biological sciences (e.g. cell or molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry, computational biology/bioinformatics, quantitative or synthetic biology) at the beginning of the graduate programme in October 2019. Applicants holding a Master’s degree in biological sciences or related disciplines are not eligible for the CEPLAS Graduate School programme.
- The programme is conducted in English. Non-native speakers need to provide evidence of proficiency in English
- Only complete applications submitted in English will be considered (see required documents)
- Deadline for online application: January 31, 2019
- Deadline for submitting letters of recommendation: February 7, 2019
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews to a selection workshop in March 2019
- Please fill in the online application form completely and in English. Therefore, please follow the instructions in the pdf-document "How to apply to the CEPLAS Graduate School".
- After you have successfully submitted your online application form you will receive an email confirmation including further information on how to submit your required documents as listed below. Therefore, please have all documents prepared before submitting the online application form.
Required documents for an application
Please submit the following required documents as one pdf-file (max. 5 MB). Applicants with a foreign school and university degree must also send certified translations (in English or German) of degree certificates if those certificates are not in English or German.
- Letter of motivation explaining why you would like to join the CEPLAS Graduate School
- Curriculum vitae (CV, including publications)
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent university degree; if available)
- Transcript of records
- Abstract of bachelor thesis (if available)
- School leaving certificates (or equivalent degree for admission to German universities
- Proof of English language skills (e.g. German Abiturzeugnis, TOEFL (90 points internet-based), IELTS (score 6,5) or a comparable proof)
If you have additional documents relevant to your application (e.g. proof of scholarships, awards, certificates from previous employers, …) you can add them to the pdf file.
Your application will be evaluated by a selection committee who defines a shortlist of candidates. Shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews to the selection workshop in March 2019.