Our research in CEPLAS centers on endophytic protists in plants, such as the pathogen Plasmodiophora brassicae, and their feedback on plant genetics and physiology. Recent discoveries of non-pathogenic endophytes within the Plasmodiophorida have the potential to identify the genetic mechanisms responsible for clubroot disease by comparing the metagenomes of pathogenic and non-pathogenic plasmodiophorids and by identifying the respective genetic control points of their host plants.
- Rüger L, Feng K, Dumack K, Freudenthal J, Chen Y, Sun R, Wilson M, Yu P, Sun B, Deng Y, Hochholdinger F, Vetterlein D, Bonkowski M (2021) Assembly Patterns of the Rhizosphere Microbiome Along the Longitudinal Root Axis of Maize (Zea mays L.). Front Microbiol 12:614501. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2021.614501.
- Fiore-Donno AM, Bonkowski M (2021) Different community compositions between obligate and facultative oomycete plant parasites in a landscape-scale metabarcoding survey. Biol Fertility Soils 57:1-12. doi: 10.1007/s00374-020-01519-z.
- Clayton J, Lemanski K, Bonkowski M (2021) Shifts in soil microbial stoichiometry and metabolic quotient provide evidence for a critical tipping point at 1% soil organic carbon in an agricultural post-mining chronosequence. Biol Fertility Soils 57. doi: 10.1007/s00374-020-01532-2.
- Fiore-Donno AM, Richter-Heitmann T, Bonkowski M (2020) Contrasting Responses of Protistan Plant Parasites and Phagotrophs to Ecosystems, Land Management and Soil Properties. Front Microbiol 11:1823. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2020.01823.
- Fiore-Donno AM, Richter-Heitmann T, Degrune F, Dumack K, Regan KM, Marhan S, Boeddinghaus RS, Rillig MC, Friedrich MW, Kandeler E, Bonkowski M (2019) Functional Traits and Spatio-Temporal Structure of a Major Group of Soil Protists (Rhizaria: Cercozoa) in a Temperate Grassland. Front Microbiol 10:1332. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2019.01332.
Prof. Dr. Michael Bonkowski
Zoological Institute, Department of Terrestrial Ecology
University of Cologne