My group aims at understanding the fundamental mechanisms that underlie the structure and the functions of multi-kingdom microbial consortia colonizing plant roots. By combining microbial community profiling data from natural Arabidopsis thaliana populations, with the use of reference microbial culture collections and gnotobiotic plant systems, we dissect how both host-microbe and microbe-microbe interactions impact microbial community structure and plant health. My group is also generating extensive microbial genomic data that will serve as key resources to identify the genetic determinants of microbial adaptation to plant roots and to interpret metatranscriptomic profiles of synthetic microbial consortia.
- Duran P, Thiergart T, Garrido-Oter R, Agler M, Kemen E, Schulze-Lefert P, Hacquard S (2018) Microbial Interkingdom Interactions in Roots Promote Arabidopsis Survival. Cell 175(4):973-983 e914. [Abstract]
- Hassani MA, Duran P, Hacquard S (2018) Microbial interactions within the plant holobiont. Microbiome 6(1):58. [Abstract]
- Hacquard S, Kracher B, Hiruma K, Munch PC, Garrido-Oter R, Thon MR, Weimann A, Damm U, Dallery JF, Hainaut M, Henrissat B, Lespinet O, Sacristan S, Ver Loren van Themaat E, Kemen E, McHardy AC, Schulze-Lefert P, O'Connell RJ (2016) Survival trade-offs in plant roots during colonization by closely related beneficial and pathogenic fungi. Nat Commun 7:11362. [Abstract]
- Hacquard S, Garrido-Oter R, Gonzalez A, Spaepen S, Ackermann G, Lebeis S, McHardy AC, Dangl JL, Knight R, Ley R, Schulze-Lefert P (2015) Microbiota and Host Nutrition across Plant and Animal Kingdoms. Cell Host Microbe 17(5):603-616. [Abstract]
- Hacquard S, Kracher B, Maekawa T, Vernaldi S, Schulze-Lefert P, Ver Loren van Themaat E (2013) Mosaic genome structure of the barley powdery mildew pathogen and conservation of transcriptional programs in divergent hosts. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110(24):E2219-2228. [Abstract]